In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Lochrutton like this:
Lochrutton, a parish of E Kirkcudbrightshire, containing at its south-eastern border the station of Lochanhead, 6 miles SW of Dumfries, and 13¾ NE of Castle-Douglas; as also Lochfoot village, 1¾ mile NNW of that station, and 5½ miles WSW of Dumfries, under which it has a post office. It is bounded NW and N by Kirkpatrick-Irongray, NE by Terregles and Troqueer, SE by Troqueer and Newabbey, and SW by Kirkgunzeon and Urr. Its utmost length, from E to W, is 5½ miles; its utmost breadth, from N to S, is 37/8 miles; and its area is 7561 acres, of which 150 are water. ...
Lochrutton Loch (7 x 3½ furl.; 325 feet) extends south-bywestward from Lochfoot village, and contains the tiny islet of Dulton's Cairn and the larger Big Island, which, partly at least, is an artificial crannoge. Half-adozen rivulets flow eastward, north-eastward, or westward to this lake, which sends off Cargen Water towards the Nith. Kirkgunzeon or Dalbeattie Burn, a feeder of Urr Water, traces all the Newabbey boundary; and Merkland Well, near the head of Lochrutton Loch, is a strong chalybeate spring, which was formerly very celebrated for the cure of agues and of dyspeptic and nervous disorders. The surface undulates, sinking along the northern and south-eastern boundaries to less than 300 feet above sea-level, and rising thence to 637 feet near the manse, 550 near Carswadda, and 604 near Slack. The predominant rocks are eruptive and Silurian, and the soil is mostly a light shallow loam. Nearly six-sevenths of the entire area are in tillage or in meadow; about 250 acres are under wood; and the rest is either pastoral, moss, or waste. An ancient Caledonian stone circle, called the `Seven Grey Stones,' but really comprising nine, with a diameter of 70 feet, is on the eminence near the manse, which commands a very extensive and brilliant view. Old baronial fortalices, or peel towers, were in various places; and the most perfect, Hills Tower, has been noticed separately. Henry Duncan, D.D. (1774-1846), the founder of savings' banks in Scotland, was the son of a former minister. Four proprietors hold each an annual value of £500 and upwards, 8 of between £100 and £500, and 6 of from £50 to £100. Lochrutton is in the presbytery and synod of Dumfries; the living is worth £221. The church, 1 mile E by S of Lochfoot, was built in 1819, and contains upwards of 300 sittings. The public school, with accommodation for 119 children, had (1882) an average attendance of 68, and a grant of £60. Valuation (1860) £5810, (1884) £9076, 17s. 6d. Pop. (1801) 514, (1831) 650, (1861) 677, (1871) 656, (1881) 614.Ord. Sur., sh. 9, 1863.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Lochrutton has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Dumfries and Galloway. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Lochrutton and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Lochrutton, in Dumfries and Galloway and Kirkcudbrightshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 20th May 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Lochrutton".