In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Kilsyth like this:
Kilsyth, town and par., S. Stirlingshire - par., 13,121 ac., pop. 6840; town, near river Kelvin and Forth and Clyde Canal, 12¾ miles NE. of Glasgow, 35 W. of Edinburgh, and 400 NW. of London by rail, pop. 5405; P.O., T.O., 2 Banks. Kilsyth dates from 1665; it was made a burgh of barony in 1826. It has some weaving, but the inhabitants are chiefly engaged in the neighbouring limestone and sandstone quarries, and coal and iron mines. The battle of Kilsyth, in which the Covenanters under Baillie were defeated with great slaughter by Montrose, was fought 15th August 1645. ...
Remarkable religious revivals took place at Kilsyth in 1742 and 1839. A little N. of the town are the ruins of Kilsyth Castle, the old seat of the Viscounts Kilsyth; it was garrisoned against Cromwell in 1650. The Kilsyth Hills are a part of the Lennox range; they reach in Meikle Bin, 4 miles NW. of Kilsyth, an alt. of 1870 ft.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Kilsyth has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of North Lanarkshire. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Kilsyth and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Kilsyth, in North Lanarkshire and Stirlingshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 20th June 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Kilsyth".