In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Largs like this:
Largs, police burgh, market town, and par. with ry. sta., N. Ayrshire - par., 21,850 ac., pop. 5149; town, on Largs Bay, Firth of Clyde, 11 miles N. of Ardrossan by rail, and 36 from Glasgow by water, pop. 3079; P.O., T.O., 2 Banks. Market-day, Thursday. Largs is one of the Clyde watering-places, and is pleasantly situated, within view of the Buteshire islands. In and near the town are some fine villas. Largs has a harbour and pier, and some fishing. The bay affords good anchorage for yachts, and there is a Largs Yacht Club. In the old graveyard is a curious mausoleum of the Skelmorlie Montgomerys. In the neighbourhood of the town are tumuli and other vestiges of the battle of Largs (1263).
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Largs has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of North Ayrshire. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Largs and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Largs in North Ayrshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 11th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Largs".