In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Cambuslang like this:
Cambuslang, town and par. (consisting of a cluster of vils.) with ry. sta., N. Lanarkshire, near river Clyde, 3¾ miles SE. of Glasgow -- par., 5160 ac., pop. 9447; town, pop. 5538; P.O., T.O., 1 Bank; has weaving and coal-mining; was the scene, in 1741, of an extraordinary religious revival.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Cambuslang has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of South Lanarkshire. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Cambuslang and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Cambuslang in South Lanarkshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 23rd May 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Cambuslang".