In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Cwmcarfan like this:
CWMCARVAN, a parish in the district and county of Monmouth; on an affluent of the river Trothy, 2¾ miles ESE of Dingestow r. station, and 3¾ SW by S of Monmouth. Post town, Monmouth. Acres, 2, 875. Real property, £2, 276. Pop., 332. Houses, 65. The property is subdivided. The living is a p. curacy, annexed to the rectory of Mitchel-Troy, in the diocese of Llandaff. The church was reported in 1859 as bad. Charities, £8.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Cwmcarfan has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Monmouthshire. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Cwmcarfan and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Cwmcarfan in Monmouthshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 29th July 2016
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Cwmcarfan".