In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Christchurch like this:
CHRISTCHURCH, a village and a parish in Newport district, Monmouth. The village stands near the river Usk and the South Wales railway, 2½ miles ENE of Newport; is a seat of petty sessions; and has a fair on 29 Nov. The parish includes also the hamlet of Caerleon-ultra-Pontem; and its post town is Caerleon, under Newport, Monmouth. Acres, 5, 757. Real property, £17, 782. Pop., 3, 004. Houses, 632. The property is subdivided. Limestone is found. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Llandaff. Value, not reported.* Patron, Eton College. The church is perpendicular English; and contains a curious sculptured sepulchral stone of the 14th century. The p. curacy of Maindee is a separate benefice. Charities, 65.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Christchurch has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Newport. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Christchurch and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Christchurch, in Newport and Monmouthshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 09th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Christchurch".