Place:


Tydd St Giles  Cambridgeshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Tydd St Giles like this:

TYDD-ST. GILES, a parish, with part of Tydd-Gote hamlet, in Wisbeach district, Cambridge; 2 miles SW of Tydd-St. Mary r. station, and 5 NNW of Wisbeach. Post town, Tydd, under Wisbeach. Acres, 4,991. Real property, £9,778. Pop., 924. Houses, 200. The land is fenny, and has been greatly improved by the formation of the North Level Drain. ...


The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ely. Value, £1,050.* Patron, the Bishop of Ely. The church is Norman and early English, and was being restored in 1868. A chapel of ease is at Foul-Anchor, and was built in 1866. There are Baptist and Methodist chapels and a national school.

Tydd St Giles through time

Tydd St Giles is now part of Fenland district. Click here for graphs and data of how Fenland has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Tydd St Giles itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Tydd St Giles, in Fenland and Cambridgeshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/1602

Date accessed: 15th November 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Tydd St Giles ".