In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Ware like this:
Ware, market town and par. with ry. sta., Herts, in E. of co., on river Lea, 2 miles NE. of Hertford and 22 N. of London by rail - par., 4705 ac., pop. 5745; town (comprising parts of the parishes of Ware, Great Amwell, and Little Amwell), 641 ac., pop. 5277; P.O., T.O., 1 Bank. Market-day, Tuesday. The chief industries are malting and brickmaking. The Ware malting establishments supply most of the London breweries. Among other buildings at Ware are St Edmund's College (1795), with church by the elder Pugin, and the remains of a 13th century priory. The great bed of Ware, mentioned by Shakspere, is now at Rye House, about 4 miles from the town. Ware Park and Ware Priory are seats.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Ware has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of East Hertfordshire. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Ware and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Ware in East Hertfordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 24th May 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Ware".