In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Hinxton like this:
HINXTON, a village and a parish in Linton district, Cambridge. The village stands on the S border of the county, near the London and Cambridge railway, 2 miles N by W of Chesterford r. station, and 4½ W by S of Linton; and has a post office under Saffron-Walden. The parish comprises 1, 503 acres. Real property, £2. 614. Pop., 396. Houses, 95. The manor belongs to E. H. G. De Freville, Esq. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ely. Value, £150.* Patron, Jesus College, Cambridge. The church consists of nave, chancel, and aisle, with large square tower; and has a brass of 1416, A record of the Reformation here, in 1643, says, "We brake down 23 superstitions pictures, ordered a cross to be taken off the steeple, and the Lady Hind to level the steps." There are a British school and charities £16.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Hinxton has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of South Cambridgeshire. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Hinxton and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Hinxton in South Cambridgeshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 18th May 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Hinxton".