In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Great Shelford like this:
SHELFORD (Great), a village, a parish, and a sub-district, in Chesterton district, Cambridge. The village stands adjacent to the London and Cambridge railway, near the Gogmagog hills, 4 miles S by E of Cambridge; and has a station on the railway, and a post-office under Cambridge. The parish comprises 1,900 acres. Real property, £4,320. Pop., 1,006. Houses, 221. The chief manor belongs to Caius College, Cambridge; and two smaller manors belong to St. John's College and E. H. De Freville, Esq. ...
There are a brewery, a large flour-mill, and nine wells supplying Cambridge with water. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ely. Value, £102.* Patron, the Bishop of Ely. The church is later English, and has a modern tower. There are a Baptist chapel of 1856, a national school, a British school, and charities £47.The sub-district contains 14 parishes. Acres, 21,580. Pop., 7,157. Houses, 1,539.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Great Shelford has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of South Cambridgeshire. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Great Shelford and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Great Shelford in South Cambridgeshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 18th May 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Great Shelford".