In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Cheveley like this:
CHEVELEY, a parish, a sub-district, and a hundred in Newmarket district, Cambridge. The parish lies on the verge of the county, near the Newmarket railway, 3¼ miles SE of Newmarket; and has a post office under Newmarket. Acres, 2, 527. Real property, £1, 517. Pop., 607. Houses, 136. The property is divided among a few. Cheveley Park belongs to the Duke of Rutland. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ely. Value, £704. Patron, the Rev. J. T. Bennet. The church is ancient but pretty good. A free grammar school has £80; alms-houses, £19; and other charities, £9. -The sub-district contains nine parishes. Acres, 2, 645. Pop., 6, 489. Houses, 331. -The hundred contains four parishes. Acres, 1, 905. Pop., 4, 570. Houses, 917.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Cheveley has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of East Cambridgeshire. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Cheveley and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Cheveley in East Cambridgeshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 09th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Cheveley".