In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Grinsdale like this:
GRINSDALE, a parish in Carlisle district, Cumberland; on the river Eden, the Roman wall, and the Carlisle and Silloth railway, 2¾ miles NW of Carlisle. Posttown, Carlisle. Acres, 890. Real property, £1, 174. Pop., 100. house, 23. The property is divided among a few. The manor formerly belonged to the family of De Grinsdale. The traces of the Roman wall here are now very slight. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Carlisle. Value, £108. Patron, Joseph Dacre, Esq. The church was rebuilt in 1739, and is not good.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Grinsdale has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Carlisle. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Grinsdale and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Grinsdale, in Carlisle and Cumberland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 22nd February 2017
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Grinsdale".