In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Milton Keynes like this:
MILTON-KEYNES, a village and a parish, in Newport-Pagnell district, Bucks. The village stands on the river Ouzel, 1¾ mile W of the boundary with Beds, 3 NW of Woburn-Sands r. station, and 3½ S by E of Newport-Pagnell; and has a postal letter-box under Newport-Pagnell. The parish comprises 1,842 acres. Real property, £3,554. Pop., 346. Houses, 72. The manor and most of the land belong to G. Finch, Esq. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £600. * Patron, G. Finch, Esq. The church is decorated English; was thoroughly restored in 1864; and consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with porch and tower. A handsome national school was built in 1 859. Bishop Atterbury was a native, and that prelate's father and Dr. Wotton, author of "Reflections on Ancient and Modern Learning, ''were rectors.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Milton Keynes has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Milton Keynes. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Milton Keynes and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Milton Keynes in Buckinghamshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 02nd May 2016
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Milton Keynes".