Place:


Biddlesden  Buckinghamshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Biddlesden like this:

BIDDLESDON, or Bittlesdon, a village and a parish in the district of Brackley, and county of Bucks. The village stands on the verge of the county, 3½ miles NE of Brackley r. station. It was formerly a market-town, but is now a small secluded place. The parish comprises 1,630 acres; and its Post Town is Brackley. ...


Real property, £2,718. Pop., 169. Houses, 29. The property is divided among a few. Biddlesdon House is the seat of G. Morgan, Esq. The manor was held some time by William the Conqueror; passed to Robert de Mappershall, and then to Ernald de Bosco; was given by the latter to the Cistertian Monks of Gerndon for founding an Abbey on it; and went at the dissolution, to Thomas, Lord Wriothesley. Considerable remains of the Abbey stood about the year 1700, but have all disappeared. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £69. Patron, G. Morgan, Esq. The church is a modern edifice adjoining Biddlesdon House.

Biddlesden through time

Biddlesden is now part of Aylesbury Vale district. Click here for graphs and data of how Aylesbury Vale has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Biddlesden itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Biddlesden, in Aylesbury Vale and Buckinghamshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/1475

Date accessed: 17th October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Biddlesden ".