In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Bishopston like this:
BISHTON, or Bishopstone, a parish in Newport district, Monmouth; on the South Wales railway, 1½ mile E of Llanwern station, and 5¼ E by S of Newport. Post Town, Magor, under Chepstow. Acres, 1,211. Real property, £1,462. Pop., 188. Houses, 36. The property is divided among a few. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Llandaff. Value, £111. Patron, the Archdeacon of Llandaff. The church is good.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Bishopston has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Newport. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Bishopston and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Bishopston, in Newport and Monmouthshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 27th February 2017
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Bishopston".