In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Caddington like this:
CADDINGTON, a parish in the district of Luton and counties of Bedford and Hertford; near the Hertford and Dunstable railway, 2 miles WSW of Luton. It includes the Humbershoe portion of Market-street village; and its Post Town is Luton. Acres, 4,500. Real property, £6,785. Pop., 1,851. Houses, 389. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ely. Value, £375.* Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of St. Paul's. The church is ancient, and has two brasses of the 16th century. The vicarage of Market-street is a separate charge. There are two dissenting chapels, an endowed school with £138 a year, and charities £16.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Caddington has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of South Bedfordshire. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Caddington and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Caddington in South Bedfordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 25th May 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Caddington".