Place:


Rode  Somerset

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Rode like this:

ROAD, a village, a parish, and a sub-district, in Frome district, Somerset. The village stands on the river Frome, at the boundary with Wilts, 4 miles N N E of Frome r. station; extends, beyond the boundary, into Wilts; was once a market-town; and has a post-office under Bath, a temperance hall, a mechanics' institute, and a large cheese fair on the Monday after 9 Sept. ...


The parish comprises 928 acres. Rated property, £2, 446. Pop., 663. Houses, 171. The property is much sub-divided. The manor belongs to Mrs. Jones. Merfield House is the seat of H. B. Pooll, Esq. Extensive woollendye-works are at Shawford. The-living is a rectory, united with the rectory of Woolverton, in the diocese of Bath and Wells. Value, £650.* Patron, J. B. Starky, Esq. The church was built about the beginning of the15th century; and has a tower, with a railed battlementin one corner, called the King's Chair, and traditionallysaid to have been mounted by Charles II. for reconnoitering after the battle of Worcester. There are chapels for Baptists and Wesleyans, and a national school.—The sub-district contains also ten other parishes and an extra-parochial tract. Acres, 11, 348. Pop., 3, 573. Houses, 838.

Rode through time

Rode is now part of Mendip district. Click here for graphs and data of how Mendip has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Rode itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Rode, in Mendip and Somerset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/14540

Date accessed: 14th November 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Rode ".