In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Tong like this:
TONG, a parish, with a village, in Shiffnal district, Salop; 3 miles E of Shiffnal r. station. It has a post-office under Shiffnal. Acres, 3,464. Real property, £6,680. Pop., 532. Houses, 110. The manor, with T. Castle, belonged formerly to the Durants, and belongs now to the Earl of Bradford. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £83.* Patron, the Earl of Bradford. The church was rebuilt in 1410, and then made collegiate. There are endowed schools with £50 a year, alms houses with £24, and other charities £100.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Tong has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Bridgnorth. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Tong and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Tong, in Bridgnorth and Shropshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 10th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Tong".