In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Leckhampstead like this:
LECKHAMPSTEAD, a chapelry, with a village, in Chieveley parish, Berks; 3 miles N W of Chieveley village, and 7¼ NNW of Newbury r. station. Post town, Chieveley, under Newbury. Real property, £2, 312. Pop., 385. Houses, 86. The property is much subdivided. The manor was given, by Edward Il., to Piers Gaveston. The living is a p. curacy, annexed to the vicarage of Chieveley, in the diocese of Oxford. The old church stood about a mile from the village. The new church stands in the centre of the village; is of recent erection, in the pointed style; consists of nave, S aisle, and chancel, with a bell turret; and contains wood work and an ancient font taken from the old church.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Leckhampstead has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of West Berkshire. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Leckhampstead and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Leckhampstead in West Berkshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 20th May 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Leckhampstead".