Place:


Winksley  West Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Winksley like this:

WINKSLEY, a township and a chapelry in Ripon parish, W. R. Yorkshire. The township lies 5 miles W of Ripon r. station. Acres, 703. Pop., 223. Houses, 44. The manor belongs to Lord Grantley.—The chapelry includes Grantley township, and is called W.-with-Grant-ley. Acres, 1,446. Pop., 458. Houses, 99. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Ripon. Value, £120. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of R.

Winksley through time

Winksley is now part of Harrogate district. Click here for graphs and data of how Harrogate has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Winksley itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Winksley, in Harrogate and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/14480

Date accessed: 17th November 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Winksley ".