In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Wilton like this:
WILTON, a township-chapelry, with two hamlets, in Kirk-Leatham parish, N. R. Yorkshire; 4¼ miles S of Redcar r. station. Post town, Redcar. Acres, 6,928; of which 1,858 are water. Rated property, £5,735. Pop. in 1851, 518; in 1861, 927. Houses, 179. The increase of pop. arose from extension of mining operations. The property is subdivided. The manor, with W. Castle, belongs to SirH. Lowther, Bart. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York. Value, £247.* Patron, SirH. Lowther, Bart. The church is not good.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Wilton has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Redcar and Cleveland. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Wilton and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Wilton, in Redcar and Cleveland and North Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 11th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Wilton".