Place:


Wigginton  North Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Wigginton like this:

WIGGINTON, a parish, with a village, in the district of York and N. R. Yorkshire; 1 mile W of Haxby r. station, and 4½ N of York. It has a post-office under York. Acres, 1,465. Real property, £2,985. Pop., 349. Houses, 72. The property is much subdivided. The living is a rectory in the diocese of York. Value, £297.* Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church was rebuilt in 1861. Charities, £21.

Wigginton through time

Wigginton is now part of York district. Click here for graphs and data of how York has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Wigginton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Wigginton, in York and North Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/14467

Date accessed: 18th November 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Wigginton ".