In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Walton like this:
WALTON, a township, with a village, in Sandall-Magna parish, W. R. Yorkshire; 3 miles SE by S of Wakefield. Acres, 1,810. Real property, £3,080. Pop., 471. Houses, 104. W. Hall, W. House, and Refuge House are chief residences; and the first is the seat of the naturalist, Waterton, Esq.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Walton has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Wakefield. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Walton and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Walton, in Wakefield and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 22nd May 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Walton".