In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Walkington like this:
WALKINGTON, a parish, with two townships, in Beverley district, E. R. Yorkshire; 3 miles SW of Beverley r. station. It has a post-office under Beverley. Acres, 3,460. Real property, £5,692. Pop., 618. Houses, 40. The property is divided among a few. The living is a rectory in the diocese of York. Value, £700.* Patron, the Rev. Douglas Ferguson. The church is good; and there are two Methodist chapels, a slightly endowed school, and charities £95.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Walkington has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of East Riding of Yorkshire. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Walkington and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Walkington, in East Riding of Yorkshire and East Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 12th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Walkington".