In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Wadsworth like this:
WADSWORTH, a township in Halifax parish, W. R. Yorkshire; containing parts of Hebden-Bridge and Mytholmroyd villages, and extending from 6 to 12 miles WNW of Halifax. Acres, 10,080. Real property, £13,889. Pop. in 1851, 4,491; in 1861, 4,141. Houses, 923. There are six places of worship and extensive manufactories.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Wadsworth has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Calderdale. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Wadsworth and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Wadsworth, in Calderdale and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 08th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Wadsworth".