In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Upperthong like this:
THONG (Upper), a township-chapelry in Almondbury parish, W. R. Yorkshire; 6 miles S by W of Huddersfield. It contains part of Holmfirth, which has a post-office under Huddersfield, and a r. station. Acres, 710. Real property, £7,977; of which £414 are in gasworks. Pop. in 1851, 2,463; in 1861, 2,690. Houses, 543. There are many genteel residences. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Ripon. Value, £162.* Patron, alternately the Crown and the Bishop. The church was built in 1847. There are three dissenting chapels.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Upperthong has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Kirklees. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Upperthong and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Upperthong, in Kirklees and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 24th May 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Upperthong".