In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Congleton like this:
Congleton, mun. bor. and market town with ry. sta., Astbury par., E. Cheshire, 26 miles S. of Manchester and 157 miles NW. of London, 2572 ac., pop. 11,116; 2 Banks, 1 newspaper. Market-day, Saturday; is a well-built town, on the banks of the Dane, a tributary of the Weaver. C. is a place of considerable antiquity, with charters dating from Edward III. The principal industry is the mfr. of silk, but there is also salt-making and coal-mining. C. has canal communication with Macclesfield, 8 miles NE.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Congleton has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Congleton. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Congleton and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Congleton in Cheshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 09th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Congleton".