In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Thorpe Salvin like this:
THORPE-SALVIN, a parish, with a village, in the district of Worksop and W. R. Yorkshire; 1 mile SE of Kiveton-Park r. station, and 5 W by N of Worksop. Post town, Worksop. Acres, 2,180. Real property, £2,586; of which £70 are in quarries. Pop., 337. Houses, 68. The manor belongs to the Duke of Leeds; and Netherthorpe, to E. Girdler, Esq. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of York. Value, £350.* Patron, the Archbishop of York. The church is chiefly Norman.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Thorpe Salvin has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Rotherham. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Thorpe Salvin and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Thorpe Salvin, in Rotherham and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 10th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Thorpe Salvin".