In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Thornton le Street like this:
THORNTON-LE-STREET, a parish, with two townships, in Thirsk district, N. R. Yorkshire; 3 miles N by W of Thirsk r. station. Post town, Thirsk. Acres. 2,750. Real property, £3,125. Pop., 241. Houses, 44. The manor belongs to the Meynells. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York. Value, not reported. Patron, Christchurch, Oxford. Sir R. Lester, the physician, was a native.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Thornton le Street has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Hambleton. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Thornton le Street and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Thornton le Street, in Hambleton and North Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 20th May 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Thornton le Street".