Place:


Tadcaster  West Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Tadcaster like this:

TADCASTER, a small town, two townships, a parish, a sub-district, and a district, in W. R. Yorkshire. The town stands on the river Wharfe, and on the Harrogate branch of the Northeastern railway, 9 miles SW of York; occupies the site of the Roman Calcaria, on Watling-street; has yielded many Roman coins; had anciently a Castle, now extinct; figured in connexion with the famous battle of Towton in 1461; was the scene of several struggles in the civil wars of Charles I.,-particularly of one in 1642, between Sir T. ...


Fairfax and the Earl of Newcastle; gave the title of Baron to the second Marquis of Thomond; is a seat of petty-sessions and county courts; and has a head post-office,‡ a r. station, a hotel, a town hall, a nine-arched bridge, a fine old English church, three dissenting chapels, an endowed grammar-school, an endowed school for girls, a national school for boys, four alms-house s, a workhouse, aggregate charities £531, a brewery, three malt-kilns, a large corn mill, a weekly market on Monday, a cattle market on every alternate Monday, and a fair on Midsummer-day. Pop. in 1861, 2,327. Houses, 563.-The townships are East T. and West T. Acres, 555 and 1,478. Real property, £1,921 and £5,093. Pop., 920 and 1,646. Houses, 207 and 383.—The parish contains also three other townships, and comprises 6,010 acres. Pop., 3,126. Houses, 679. The manor, with Grimston Hall, belongs to Lord Londesborough. There are several good residences. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York. Value, £250.* Patron, Lord Londesborough.—The sub-district contains four parishes and two parts. Acres, 13,848. Pop., 4,390. Houses, 945.—The district comprehends also Bilton, Bramham, Aberford, and Apple-ton-Roebuck sub-districts; and comprises 63,796 acres. Poor rates in 1863, £8,203. Pop. in 1851, 17,983; in 1861, 18,118. Houses, 3,828. Marriages in 1863, 115; births, 617,-of which 46 were illegitimate; deaths, 383, -of which 146 were at ages under 5 years, and 5 at ages above 85. Marriages in the ten years 1851-60, 1,209; births, 6,778; deaths, 3,751. The places of worship, in 1851, were 26 of the Church of England , with 6,999 sittings; 1 of Independents, with 160 s.; 24 of Wesleyans, with 4,245 s.; 7 of Primitive Methodists, with 630 s.; 1 undefined, with 150 s.; and 3 of Roman Catholics, with 700 s. The schools were 34 public day-schools, with 1,711 scholars; 57 private day-schools, with 1,518 s.; 44 Sunday schools, with 2,732 s.; and 4 evening schools for adults, with 31 s.

Tadcaster through time

Tadcaster is now part of Selby district. Click here for graphs and data of how Selby has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Tadcaster itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Tadcaster, in Selby and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/14322

Date accessed: 20th October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Tadcaster ".