In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Swillington like this:
SWILLINGTON, a parish in Hunslet district, W. R. Yorkshire; 2 miles NNE of Woodlesford r. station, and 5 E by S of Leeds. It includes part of Astley hamlet, and has a post-office under Leeds. Acres, 2,760. Real property, £8,243; of which £2,700 are in mines. Pop., 662. Houses, 138. The manor, with S. Hall, belongs to SirH. Lowther, Bart. Leventhorpe Hall is the seat of J. T. Leather, Esq. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ripon. Value, £510.* Patron, SirH. Lowther, Bart. The church is early English, with a Tudor tower. There are an endowed school with £18 a year, and charities £16.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Swillington has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Leeds. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Swillington and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Swillington, in Leeds and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 12th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Swillington".