In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Startforth like this:
STARTFORTH, a township and a parish in the district of Teesdale and N. R. Yorkshire. The township lies on the river Tees, 1 mile S of Barnard-Castle r. station. Acres, 938. Pop., 565. Houses, 103. The parish includes two other townships,-Boldron and Egglestone Abbey,-and comprises 3,060 acres. Post town, Barnard-Castle. Real property, £4,330. Pop., 802. Houses, 161. The property is much subdivided. S. Halland Lower S. Hall are chief residences. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ripon. Value, £150.* Patron, the Earl of Lonsdale. A new church, in the early decorated style, was built in 1863. There is a national school.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Startforth has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Teesdale. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Startforth and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Startforth, in Teesdale and North Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 13th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Startforth".