In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Sowerby like this:
SOWERBY, a township-chapelry, with a village, in Thirsk parish, N. R. Yorkshire; within Thirsk borongh, and adjacent on the SE to Thirsk r. station. It has a post-office under Thirsk. Acres, 2,528. Real property, £7,044. Pop. in 1851, 1,079; in 1861, 1,248. Houses, 296. The property is much subdivided. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York. Value, £331.* Patron, the Archbishop of York. The church is partly Norman. There are a national school, and charities £8.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Sowerby has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Hambleton. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Sowerby and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Sowerby, in Hambleton and North Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 19th May 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Sowerby".