In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Delamere like this:
DELAMERE, a township in Northwich district, and a parish partly also in Runcorn district, Cheshire. The township lies 5½ miles W by S of Hartford r. station, and 10 E by N of Chester; and gives the peerage title of Baron to the family of Cholmondeley. Acres, 1, 980. Real property, £1, 965. Pop., 474. Houses, 101. The parish contains also the townships of Eddisbury, Oak mere, and Kingswood; and its post town is Kelsall, under Chester. Acres, 8, 770. Real property, £6, 577. ...
Pop., 1, 146. Houses, 226. The area was extra-parochial till 1812; was anciently a royal forest, abounding with wood and deer; had become waste and barren; and is now, in great extent, enclosed and cultivated. Vale-Royal is the seat of Lord Delamere; and Delamere Lodge, the seat of the Wilbrahams. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Chester. Value, not reported. Patron, the Crown. The church was built in 1817. There are two dissenting chapels and a national school.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Delamere has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Vale Royal. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Delamere and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Delamere, in Vale Royal and Cheshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 11th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Delamere".