In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Sewerby like this:
SEWERBY-WITH-MARTON, a township-chapelryin Bridlington parish, E. R. Yorkshire; on the coast, at Marton r. station, 2 miles N E of Bridlington. Post-town, Bridlington, under Hull. Acres, 2, 173; of which 113 are water. Real property, £3, 949. Pop., 342. Houses, 73. The manor belongs to G. Lloyd, Esq. S. House is a chief residence. The living is a p. curacy, united with Grindall, in the diocese of York. Value, £181. Patron, G. J. Yarburgh, Esq. The church was built in 1847, and is in the Norman style, with tower and small spire. There are a Wesleyan chapel and an endowed school.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Sewerby has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of East Riding of Yorkshire. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Sewerby and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Sewerby, in East Riding of Yorkshire and East Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 24th May 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Sewerby".