Place:


Scriven  West Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Scriven like this:

SCRIVEN-WITH-TENTERGATE, a township in Knaresborough parish, W. R. Yorkshire; on the river Nidd, 1 mile N by W of Knaresborough. Acres, 1, 767. Real property, £5, 901; of which £40 are in gas-works. Pop., 1, 426. Houses, 353. The manor belonged anciently to the Scrivens; passed, in the time of Henry III., to the Slingsbys; and, with S. Hall, belongs now to SirSlingsby, Bart. Conyngarth Saxon camp and Gates-hill Danish camp are near the Hall.

Scriven through time

Scriven is now part of Harrogate district. Click here for graphs and data of how Harrogate has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Scriven itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Scriven, in Harrogate and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/14187

Date accessed: 21st November 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Scriven ".