In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described St Martin like this:
MARTIN (ST.), an extra-parochial tract in Richmond district, N. R. Yorkshire; 1 mile S of Riclhmond. Pop., 53. Houses, 11. A Benedictine priory, a cell to Yorrk abbey, was fonnded here about 1100 by Wyomar of Aske.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing St Martin has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Richmondshire. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering St Martin and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of St Martin, in Richmondshire and North Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 09th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "St Martin".