In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Catmore like this:
CATMORE, a parish in Wantage district, Berks; near the Ridge way, 2¾ miles WSW of East Ilsley, and 8 N by W of Newbury r. station. It includes Lilley tything; and once had a market. Post Town, East Ilsley, under Newbury. Acres, 696. Pop., 121. Houses, 22. The manor has been held, for upwards of five centuries, by the Eystons. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £200. Patron,Eyre, Esq. The church is Norman, without porch or tower; and was recently restored.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Catmore has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of West Berkshire. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Catmore and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Catmore in West Berkshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 18th May 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Catmore".