In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Roundhay like this:
ROUNDHAY, a village and a township-chapelry in Barwick-in-Elmet parish, W. R. Yorkshire. Th-e village stands on the river Aire, 3½ miles N E of Leeds r. station; is a pretty place; and is chiefly edificed with handsome residences of Leeds merchants. The chapelry comprises 1, 630 acres. Post-town, Leeds. Real property, £5, 711. Pop., 570. Houses, 110. The manor belongs to W. N. Nicholson, Esq. There are stone quarries. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Ripon. Value, £225.* Patron, Mrs. Nicholson. The church was built in 1826, is in the early Tudor style, and has a tower and spire. There are a Wesleyan chapel and a school.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Roundhay has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Leeds. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Roundhay and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Roundhay, in Leeds and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 11th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Roundhay".