Place:


Roecliffe  West Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Roecliffe like this:

ROCLIFF, or Roecliff, a township-chapelry in Aldborough parish, W. R. Yorkshire; on the river Ure, 1½mile W S W of Boroughbridge r. station. Post-town, Boroughbridge, under York. Acres, 1, 794. Real property, £2, 497. Pop., 231. Houses, 53. The manor belongs to A. S. Lawson, Esq. Bricks and tiles aremade. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Ripon. Value, £101.* Patron, A. S. Lawson, Esq. The church is in the Norman style. There are a Primitive Methodist chapel and a church school.

Roecliffe through time

Roecliffe is now part of Harrogate district. Click here for graphs and data of how Harrogate has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Roecliffe itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Roecliffe, in Harrogate and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/14135

Date accessed: 17th November 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Roecliffe ".