Place:


Ravensworth  North Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Ravensworth like this:

KIRKBY-RAVENSWORTH, a parish in Richmond district, N. R. Yorkshire; on Gilling beck, 5 miles NW by N of Richmond. It contains Ravensworth township, which has a post office under Richmond, Yorkshire; contains also the townships of Kirkby-on-the-Hill, Washton, New Forest, Gayles, Dalton, and part of Newsham. ...


Acres, with the rest of Newsham, 15, 911. Real property, with the rest of N., £15, 085. Pop., with only the part of N., in 1851, 1, 406; in 1861, 1, 248-Houses, 275. The property is much subdivided. The manor belongs to Cradock, Esq. Ruins of an ancient castle, once the seat of the Fitz-Hughs, are in Ravensworth. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Ripon. Value, £160.* Patron, the Bishop of Ripon. The church is of the close of the 14th century; superseded a previous church of Saxon date; has lost one of its aisles; and contains an ancient font, and monuments to Gerardns de Hornby and Dr. Dakyn. An hospital for 24 aged persons, and a grammar school for K. R. and neighbouring places, were founded by Dr. Dakyn in 1556, and have an endowed income of £1, 234.

Ravensworth through time

Ravensworth is now part of Richmondshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how Richmondshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Ravensworth itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Ravensworth, in Richmondshire and North Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/14116

Date accessed: 19th November 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Ravensworth ".