In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Ravensworth like this:
KIRKBY-RAVENSWORTH, a parish in Richmond district, N. R. Yorkshire; on Gilling beck, 5 miles NW by N of Richmond. It contains Ravensworth township, which has a post office under Richmond, Yorkshire; contains also the townships of Kirkby-on-the-Hill, Washton, New Forest, Gayles, Dalton, and part of Newsham. Acres, with the rest of Newsham, 15, 911. Real property, with the rest of N., £15, 085. Pop., with only the part of N., in 1851, 1, 406; in 1861, 1, 248-Houses, 275. The property is much subdivided. ...
The manor belongs to Cradock, Esq. Ruins of an ancient castle, once the seat of the Fitz-Hughs, are in Ravensworth. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Ripon. Value, £160.* Patron, the Bishop of Ripon. The church is of the close of the 14th century; superseded a previous church of Saxon date; has lost one of its aisles; and contains an ancient font, and monuments to Gerardns de Hornby and Dr. Dakyn. An hospital for 24 aged persons, and a grammar school for K. R. and neighbouring places, were founded by Dr. Dakyn in 1556, and have an endowed income of £1, 234.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Ravensworth has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Richmondshire. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Ravensworth and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Ravensworth, in Richmondshire and North Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 09th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Ravensworth".