In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Whaplode like this:
WHAPLODE, a village and a parish in Holbeach district, Lincoln. The village stands on the Spalding and Lynn railway, 2¼ miles W by S of Holbeach; is large and scattered; and has a post-office under Spalding, and a r. station. The parish includes W.-Drove chapelry, and comprises 10,164 acres. Real property, £23,300. Pop. in 1851, 2,564; in 1861, 2,462. Houses, 509. The property is much subdivided; and there are seven manors. Irby Hall was anciently a seat of the Irbys, and is now a farmhouse. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, £605.* Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is Norman and good. There are two Wesleyan chapels, a free school, and alms houses.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Whaplode has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of South Holland. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Whaplode and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Whaplode, in South Holland and Lincolnshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 19th June 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Whaplode".