In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Uffington like this:
UFFINGTON, a parish, with a village, in Stamford district, Lincoln; on the river Welland, adjacent to the Syston and Peterborough railway, 2½ miles E of Stamford. It has a post-office under Stamford, and a r. station. Acres, 3,996. Real property, £7,148. Pop., 510. Houses, 107. The manor, with U. Hall, belongs to the Earl of Lindsey. Case-wick Hall is the seat of Lord Kesteven. An Augustinian canonry was founded at Newstead, in the time of Henry III., by W. de Albini; and was given, at the dissolution, to R. Manours. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, £837.* Patron, the Earl of Lindsey. The church is partly early English, and has a handsome crocketted spire. There are an endowed school with £20 a year, and charities £50.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Uffington has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of South Kesteven. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Uffington and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Uffington, in South Kesteven and Lincolnshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 08th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Uffington".