Place:


Tydd St Mary  Lincolnshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Tydd St Mary like this:

TYDD-ST. MARY, a parish, with a village and with part of Tydd-Gote hamlet, in Holbeach district, Lincoln; on the Peterborough and Sutton-Bridge railway, 3 miles SW of Sutton-Bridge. It has a station on the railway, and a post-office, of the name of Tydd, under Wisbeach. Acres, with part of Wingland extra-parochial tract, 4,845: of which 200 are water. ...


Real property, £10,978. Pop., 977. Houses, 213. The property is much sub-Divided. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, £1,250.* Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is very late Norman, and has a tower and spire. There are two mission-houses, two Methodist chapels, a boys' free school, two national schools, and charities £200. Breakspear, who became Pope Adrian IV., is said to have been rector.

Tydd St Mary through time

Tydd St Mary is now part of South Holland district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Holland has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Tydd St Mary itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Tydd St Mary, in South Holland and Lincolnshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/14047

Date accessed: 17th November 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Tydd St Mary ".