In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Woodsford like this:
WOODSFORD, a parish in Dorchester district, Dorset: 1½ mile NW by W of Moreton r. station, and 4¾ E of Dorchester. Post town, Dorchester. Acres, 1,742. Real property, £1,596. Pop., 193. Houses, 36. The property belongs to the Earl of Ilchester. Guido de Brient's castle is here, and has been converted into a farmhouse, and partially restored. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £250.* Patron, H. G. Sturt, Esq. The church's chancel was recently rebuilt.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Woodsford has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of West Dorset. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Woodsford and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Woodsford in West Dorset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 05th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Woodsford".