In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Thornton Curtis like this:
THORNTON-CURTIS, a parish, with a village, in Glanford-Brigg district, Lincoln; at Thornton-Abbey r. station, 4 miles SSE of New Holland-It has a post-office under Ulceby. Acres, 4,610. Real property, £7,563. Pop., 483. Houses, 98. Burnham manor belongs to the Taylor family. A Cistertian abbey stood on a spot 1½ mile NE of the village; was founded in 1139 by W. le Gros, Earl of Albemarle; gave its abbots a seat in the upper house of parliament; was converted by Henry VIII. into a college, and given by Edward VI. to the Bishops of Lincoln; and is now represented by interesting ruins. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, £250.* Patron, Winn, Esq. The church is early English.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Thornton Curtis has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of North Lincolnshire. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Thornton Curtis and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Thornton Curtis in North Lincolnshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 20th June 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Thornton Curtis".