In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described East Stour like this:
STOWER (East), a parish in Shaftesbury district, Dorset; 2½ miles SSW of Gillingham r. station. Post town, Gillingham, under Bath. Acres, 1,675. Rated property, £3,186. Pop., 426. Houses, 105. The property is divided among a few. The living is a p. curacy, annexed to Gillingham. The church is good. Fielding was, for some time, a resident.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing East Stour has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of North Dorset. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering East Stour and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of East Stour in North Dorset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 25th October 2014
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "East Stour".