In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Sixpenny Handley like this:
HANDLEY, a village and a parish in Wimborne district, Dorset. The village stands near the boundary with Wilts, 5 miles NW of Cranborne, and 10 NE of Blandford r. station; was once a market town; and has a post office, under Salisbury. The parish includes also the villages of Newton and Deanlane; contains the tythings of Gussage, Minchington, and Woodcutts; and is sometimes called Sixpenny-Handley. Acres, 5, 928. Real property, £6, 531. Pop., 1, 203. Houses, 264. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to Lord Rivers. The living is a vicarage, united with the chapelry of Gussage-St. Andrew, in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £63.* Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Windsor. The church is ancient, in tolerable condition; and has an embattled tower. There are a Wesleyan chapel, and a national school.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Sixpenny Handley has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of East Dorset. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Sixpenny Handley and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Sixpenny Handley in East Dorset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 11th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Sixpenny Handley".