Place:


Normanby  North Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Normanby like this:

NORMANBY, a village, a township, and a parish, in Helmsley district, N. R. Yorkshire. The village stands on the river Severn, 5 miles W S W of Pickering r. station; and gives the title of Marquis to the Phipps family. The township comprises 1, 768 acres. Real property, £3,010. Pop., 199. ...


Houses, 45. The parish contains also the township of Thornton-Risebrough. Post-town, Pickering. Acres, 2, 363. Real property, £3, 817. Pop., 234. Houses, 50. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to S. Walker, Esq. There is a saline spa. The living is a rectory intho diocese of York. Value, £509.* Patron, the Rev. J. R. Hill. The church is partly Norman, was partly rebuilt in 1718, has a low tower, and is good. There are a Wesleyan chapel and a slightly endowed school.

Normanby through time

Normanby is now part of Ryedale district. Click here for graphs and data of how Ryedale has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Normanby itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Normanby, in Ryedale and North Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/13833

Date accessed: 13th December 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Normanby ".